httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Valpak <gval...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] please help me kill apache..
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:46:38 GMT
At 07:27 AM 2/13/2003 -0600, George Hademenos wrote:
>if you know anything at all about compilers you know that you don't have to
>have make files....you can compile and link manually when you have to.

If you know anything about working on or managing teams of software engineers that have turned
out 28 MB of source code, then you know there is more than just raw source code involved in
build the target(s). Take a peek at the apache code, for instance (Just to try to keep this
remotely on topic :)

How did headquarters come to release NT4.0 code to you, particularly without imposing onerous
licensing and confidentiality agreements? I am aware that MS has licensed software source,
probably of that vintage to companies (such as Mainsoft IIRC) who were porting certain aspects
of it to unix systems. But that is not software that was "released" in any sense of the imagination,
and even if that is what you have, it is certainly still subject to its licensing terms and
keeping it on  your 12 dollar pc is probably not sufficient.

Is this the source of your source?

It also may very well be that the source code for the resolver is based on FreeBSD-licensed
stuff, as would be allowed under that license. I may vaguely recall having read that conjecture
at one time. But why would MS have made the results public?

Anyway, this is way off topic, and I am amused enough that I better go back to bed before
it is time to wake up...

GV