httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Valpak <gval...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] To everyone
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 18:39:14 GMT

>At 11:01 PM 2/3/2003 -0800, Joe Barrett wrote:
>I know!  I released my last one just about a half hour ago due to problems.
>The old one I had for over a year.  This one's gonna be my permanent one.

Ben,

You don't get to decide if your IP is permanent or not on your type of cable connection. The
ISP could change it at any time. It probably assigns IP addresses using DHCP, and the IP address
you have is on a "lease". I manage a cable modem on Roadrunner, they told me their DHCP leases
last for two weeks, meaning if your network is disconnected from theirs for up to 2 weeks,
when it comes back you will still have  the same address. I was very surprises at how long
that was - I expected them to tell me something like 6 hours, or even like dial-up DHCP leases
measured in seconds. YMMV.

Not only that, but we have had the address change because they wen down on their end.

What you might want to look into now is a dynamic DNS site, such as noip, which we use successfully.
You register a domain name if you don't already have one, and tell the registrar that noip's
dns servers are the ones to use. then you can register your host name at noip. follow the
instructions at noip to install a program (varies by os) that checks periodically what your
true outside IP address is currently, and if it has changed, updates the dns servers. If you
have your router set right, you will not need to ever make any updaes there when the IP address
changes.

GV