httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] virtual host headers
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:05:10 GMT
skipper wrote:
> you have correctly interpreted the issues but the hosts file on NT or Linux
> is only useful as an intranet solution and not very valuable....I have
> experimented with records on dns but for some reason they all want to use
> the preconfigured domain name. The only solution i see at the moment is to
> just register the ips with new domain names by the root dns servers.

When you register a domain name they just want the addresses of the DNS
servers.  Many domains can make use of the same server.  Then on that
server you just have www.domain1.com, www.domain2.com, www.domain3.com,
etc. all resolve to the same IP address.  Then the web browser and
server can sort out what site was actually requested when it comes
across on that IP address.

--
Chris