httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Tunkrans <david.tunkr...@netinsight.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Embedded Apache + cross compile
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:23:33 GMT
Thank you Owen and Jacob for quick replies

Now of course, Ive come a bit further with this task and I have some
more questions regarding cross- compiling and Apache 2.

> Actually, now that I think of it, what kind of embeded system are we talking
> about?  I'd hope it is something that can handle forking (apache) or
> threading (apache 2) well, or apache is going to be a bad idea.

We are talking about StrongARM v4, 64 Mb RAM and Linux

Ive managed to do the following:

- Compile Apache + PHP (SO). Now works on linux-i386
- A script that:
    - creates a dist with only base modules
    - removes unnecessary files
    - strips binaries
    - modifies httpd.conf

total size: 2.7Mb (I need it smaller though)
memory consumption: about 1 Mb

I have managed to perform a native build, but there seems to be
something wrong with the libphp4.so. When running a simple test page I
get the following error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_WHITESPACE in
/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/index.php on line 3

I have not found the cause of this error yet, however what I really want
to do is cross-compile. Unfortunately the configure script does not do
all the work for me here :) Ive got three problems:

* I get an error message, something like: the feature is not supported
by this architecture (--enable-so)
  This problem does not appear when building natively.

* The test, setpgrp fails in configure (I have overridden this test for
now)

* Can not determine size of size_t, ssize_t (while running make). How do
I set these values?

This is basically what the configure part looks like:

ac_cv_func_setpgrp_void=yes CC=arm-linux $APACHE_SRC_DIR/configure
--host=arm-linux --srcdir $APACHE_SRC_DIR -prefix
$APACHE_DIST_DIR/$APACHE_PREFIX

Regards,

David

David Tunkrans                   Net Insight AB
                                 Box 42093, SE-126 14 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
Phone:  +46-8-685 06 95          Visiting address: Västberga Allé 9
Fax:    +46-8-685 04 20          http://www.netinsight.net