httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apology
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:39:43 GMT
George Hademenos wrote:
> go to google.com do a search for iis virtual hosts and you will see the
> oregon.edu findings that only the latest browsers
> work...also option 2 is to use 10000 network cards...also not
> very useful....not sure about the validity of option 3.

The message you are talking about was posted in Feb. of 2000.  The first
option the "Host:" header is exactly what Apache uses also.

The newer browsers are anything released since 1996.  I found this page
( http://www.webcom.com/glossary/http1.1.shtml ) talking about HTTP 1.1
and browser support.  Looks like all versions of Internet Explorer,
Netscape since version 2.0, Mosaic since 2.7, and Lynx since 2.5.  All
the "new" browsers to come after them also have had 1.1 support from the
start.

There is nothing to worry about relying on the "Host:" header for
virtual hosts in the year 2003, on any websever IIS or Apache.

By the way, this is an Apache list, so stop posting stuff about IIS (and
what ever else enters your mind).

--
Chris