httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] please help me kill apache..
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 05:45:58 GMT
Gary Turner wrote:

> It is dependent on the order of lookup, since you don't specify a TLD.
> Here, I got the .com TLD when I did the same non-qualified lookup.
> Someone else's DNS may give a different TLD.

I don't think it is the DNS server doing it.  It is either the
webbrowser or the OS's resolver.  If I ask my DNS server about
www.micro. is says it doesn't exist.  But if I ask Mozilla to go there,
it appends a .com to it.

Because the tracert thing worked, it seems that NT's resolver is what is
doing it on his machine.  Strange that MS would program the ORG TLD to
be the first in the search order.

But I'm done with this conversation, so I digress...

--
Chris