httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] please help me kill apache..
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:13:01 GMT
George Hademenos wrote:
> i tried clearing the browser but it doesn't do any good...every time i type
> insane junk like www.micro
> the apache keeps coming up and saying installed on your system.

When Apache is installed on a server, the default page, before the
person who owns the server uploads their own content, is a page that
says, it worked, and informs you that that Apache was installed
correctly.  This can be any machine on the Internet.  No one is supposed
to see this page except the admin.  The so "your" in the message is not
to *you* but the person who installed Apache.

So, that brings us to the question, why are you seeing it?

My best guess, and it is more than likely exactly what is happening, is
your ISP, or whoever's DNS server you are using, has a wildcard entry
for their domain.  Your NT install has that same domain in it's search
order.  So when you type www.micro it can't be found as a fully
qualified domainname, so NT again submits the query with the domains in
your search order.  One of those (maybe the only one, if that is all you
have) is the DNS server with the wildcard.  So, www.micro becomes the
fully qualified name, www.micro."yourdomain".  "yourdomain" has a
wildcard (i.e.  *.yourdomain) that resolves to an IP that has a fresh
install of Apache on it.

To sum up.  *Apache is not on your machine.*  Call your ISP and ask this
question, "Do you have a wildcard A record for (insert their domainname
here), and does it point an IP of a machine that has a Apache installed
on it?"

My guess is they are planning on setting up a page on this Apache server
to catch mistyped hostnames.  Why they would do such a thing is beyond
me though.

--
Chris