httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jay W. Reffner" <reff...@findlay.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ProxyPass Infinite Loop
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:45:28 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Robert,<br>
You're last connection setup of:<br>
<pre wrap="">end user &lt;-http-&gt; proxy server &lt;-http-&gt; app
server

...switching to...

 end user &lt;-https-&gt; proxy server &lt;-http-&gt; app server
</pre>
is what I'm looking to do.&nbsp; With that in mind, how do I redirect on the
proxy servers :80 virtual host to the :443 virtual host?<br>
would that just be:<br>
Redirect / <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://proxy.server.com/&nbsp;">https://proxy.server.com/&nbsp;</a>
?<br>
Thanks very much,<br>
Jay<br>
Nelson, Robert D. wrote:<br>
 cite="mid11864A3328DDD5119DE70002A540D64A02B4C2CF@ntblm16.dci.com">
  <pre wrap="">Jay:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Basically what I'm trying to do is to force people to use
https instead
of http and automatically redirect them to the https if they
hit http.
When people try to hit the calendar.findlay.edu box they get in an
infinite loop between the apache proxy and the other web server it's
trying to forward to.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I may be entirely missing your intentions, but I think what you want to do
is...

 end user &lt;-http-&gt; proxy server &lt;-http-&gt; app server

...switching to...

 end user &lt;-https-&gt; proxy server &lt;-https-&gt; app server

If you do want to do this, you'll need to redirect the user at the proxy
server level to https.  This means that your redirect will need to look
something like...

 Redirect        / <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://proxy.server.url/">https://proxy.server.url/</a>

...in the :80 virtual host.  Then, in the :443 virutual host you'll want...

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">ProxyPass        / <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://calendar.findlay.edu/">https://calendar.findlay.edu/</a>
ProxyPassReverse / <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://calendar.findlay.edu/">https://calendar.findlay.edu/</a>
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I would be rather careful of making the connection from the proxy server to
the app server SSL.  I think it's possible, but I've never actually seen it
in the flesh.  What may be a more elegant and easier to impliment solution
would be to set up the connection like...

 end user &lt;-http-&gt; proxy server &lt;-http-&gt; app server

...switching to...

 end user &lt;-https-&gt; proxy server &lt;-http-&gt; app server

That way you can have the end user &lt;-&gt; proxy server connection secured, but
you don't need to worry about the SSL back to the app server.  In this case
you need the redirect on the proxy servers :80 virtual host to the :443
virutual host and you can let the app server serve via http by default.

 ~ Robert

  </pre>