httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alan Murrell <sil...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] TransferLog vs CustomLog question
Date Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:43:41 GMT
Hello,

I just thought I would reply to my own post here since
I discovered the answer, and thought that if nothing
else, I would post the solution in case someone else
comes across this :-)

It turns out that the stats software had nothing to do
with how the visits were counted.  It seems that in
the format configuration for the "combined" log, there
is a '%v' for the virtual host name just before the
'%h', for the client IP address.  It is this virtual
hostname (of the website) that was being counted as a
"visit", since it was listed first in the line.

To illustrate, the regular "TransferLog" looks
something like:

111.222.333.444 - - ...

where '111.222.333.444' is the IP address of the
computer connecting to the site.

And the "combined" log was configured to look
something like:

www.customerdomain.com 111.222.333.444

where 'www.customerdomain.com' is the website being
connected to.