httpd-users mailing list archives

From CJ <unix1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] question about turning off indexing
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:51:03 GMT
OK Why is this so? They are not in "root" they are in
their own filesystem under mounted on a dir in root.

/public is its own volume group and its own logical
volume
Nothing is in rootvg.

Also they reside on their own disk not even close to
the hdisk0 or hdisk1 drive.
--- Gary Turner <kk5st@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> CJ wrote:
>
> >Yes it is true. I have them on their own file
> system
> >/cgi-bin is on a File system and /public is its
> own.
>
> What do you mean by "on their own file system"?
> >
> >Even so that should not matter.
> >
> >I made a dir called /public/cgi-bin and made an
> entry
> >in my httpd.conf file to reflect this.
>
> What was that entry, explicitly?
>
> >I then stopped and started the server and I get the
> >same result.
> >
> >I even tried to link the /public/cgi-bin to the
> >/cgi-bin and same result. It follow the link fine.
> >
> >SO I have tried several places and options.
> >
> >What else do you recommend I try?
>
> Why on earth would you be doing anything in /
> (root)?  Certainly files
> don't belong there.  The only things in my root
> directory are FHS
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ standard directories
> and links to the
> kernel.  A directory "public" does not belong in
> root.
>
> Do you have some (unknown to us) reason for
> departing from the normal
> placement?  If not,
>
> DocumentRoot /var/lib/www or
> DocumentRoot /usr/local/lib/www
>
> ScriptAlias /cgi/ /var/lib/cgi-bin/ or
> ScriptAlias /cgi/ /usr/local/lib/cgi-bin/
>
> First set a default.  (This is the system root)
>
> <Directory />
> 	Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
> 	AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> Now the doc root directory
>
> <Directory /usr/local/lib/www>
> 	AllowOverride None
> 	Options -Index
> 	other stuff
> </Directory>
>
> And the script directory
>
> <Directory /usr/local/lib/cgi-bin>
> 	AllowOverride None
> 	Options ExecCGI
> 	more stuff
> </Directory>
>
> The point of this is that the directories are
> actual, not aliases.  I
> say this, because it is unclear whether you are
> using the alias or very
> bad real addresses in the directives.
> >
> >--- Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

> directories
> >> do
> >>
> >> Did you read my ENTIRE message?  Are you saying
> that
> >> you have "public" and
> >> "cgi-bin" directories at the root of the
> filesystem
> >> (as in, along side
> >> /usr /etc /home /dev) and if you type "cd
> /public"
> >> you get to that
> >> directory?  That would be a VERY unusual place to
> >> put web directories.
> >>
> >> If you can confirm that is true, we can talk
> about
> >> other debugging
> >> techniques, but I sincerely doubt it.
> >>
> >> Joshua.

> [...]

=====
There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and
UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
Blessed are the pessimists, for they make backups!
Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
10101010011100101001001000011010000001000100101010101010
0011001010100010110010101000010001010000