httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Lopez <dan...@rawbyte.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Embedded Apache
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 06:15:47 GMT
> I'm looking for a web server to run in an embedded environment and
> currently I am evaluating the possibility of running Apache 2 with a
> scripting languange (PHP, Perl). Im aware of that this approach is
> rather unconventional, but nonetheless I want to give it a try. (If this
> does not work there are of course other web servers such as BOA or Tiny
> HTTPD)
>
> What I would like to do is the following:
>
> * Configure Apache with a scripting language (PHP, Perl etc.)
> * Minimize disk usage: 5-6Mb.
> * Minimize memory usage: <5Mb (2 concurrent users)
>
> I would appreciate an opinion on this approach. Any suggestions on how
> to proceed are welcomed.

If your goal is to run a scripting-capable webserver in an embedded system
with resource constraints, I would have a serious look to tclhttpd
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tclhttpd
(That's what TiVo used to run, iirc)
Or similar Perl/Python based systems. If you really want to run PHP, there
are lighter servers which can run PHP http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/
(or at least used to, havent checked recently)

Cheers

Daniel

--
Teach Yourself Apache 2 -- http://apacheworld.org/ty24/