httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to limit access by port and /pattern/?
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:41:40 GMT
On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:45:31PM -0500, Roger Simmons wrote:
> Yes I know I can probably do it with <Location> or <VirtualHost> but my
> question is how. I have tried repeatedly using both of these with no
> luck. I mentioned in my post that I have tried several things, read the
> documentation several times and spent considerable time searching google
> for an example but so far there is no solution. I appreciate your
> response, but it is completely useless. It would be nice if the apache
> documentation were more detailed and expanded to provide more real world
> examples. I will write an addition to the doc if anyone can show me how
> to do this. thanks r

You may have tried several things, but you still haven't told us *what*.
To look again at Joshua's response,

> > You can do this using mod_rewrite.  Depending on exactly what type of
> > pattern you want to match and where in URL it is, you may also be able to
> > do it using <Location> or <VirtualHost> sections.

1) You can definitely do this with mod_rewrite.  A number of "real world"
   rewriting examples can be found at:
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html
   which really needs to be read with the aid of:
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html

2) While you haven't clearly defined your problem, you may be able to solve
   it via <Location> and <VirtualHost>.  If you provide some examples of
   the URLs and sort of access you're trying to limit, someone can probably
   suggest whether you can solve it in this way.

Without some details regarding what you're doing, there's only so much
useful information we can offer!

Cheers,

Zac