httpd-users mailing list archives

From Monica Lau <mllau2...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Expires HTTP Header
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:38:56 GMT

Hi Boyle,
Thanks for your comment!  I have looked at the "ExpiresXXXX" directive, but I thought that
this was only if I were to use the Apache configuration file to generate the HTTP header.
 Since I'm not using that, do I still have to load mod_expires?  Maybe I'll try both and see
what happens...
Thanks,
Monica
 Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:Plain text please...

Have you looked at the "ExpiresXXXX" directives? You need to load
mod_expires but then this gives you a standard interface to generate
Expires headers.

Be aware that, although you may generate whatever headers you like, the
browser or proxy which is doing the caching is under no obligation to
obey them.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: Monica Lau [mailto:mllau2002@yahoo.com]
Sent: Samstag, 8. Februar 2003 01:15
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Expires HTTP Header

Hi all,
I am using Apache server version 1.3.26. I use CGI scripts (Perl) to
append to the HTTP header. Basically, I don't want my HTML pages to be
cached at all. I tried this method,
print "Content-type: text/html \n";
print "Pragma: no-cache \n\n";
and it works! However, I heard that using Pragma is not good, so I
tried using the Expires HTTP header,
print "Content-type: text/html \n";
print "Expires: Fri, 30 Oct 2002 14:19:41 GMT \n\n";
However, the page is still cached. Do you know why this? Do I need to
install the "mod_expires" Apache module?
Thanks for your help,
Monica

Do you Yahoo!?

views of the sender's company.