httpd-users mailing list archives

From Payal Rathod <rpa...@softhome.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache server mgt. --> Failover system, loadbalancing
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:07:17 GMT
* Paul Muad`dib <uzul_2000@gmx.net> [2003-02-04 14:17]:
> Hi,
>
> I would say Failover system or a sort loadbalancing you mean. ( good idea
> for the topic, I changed a bit ;))
> The problem is that you said the server goes down so apache can't do
> anything more ( cause as you said it is dead ).

Thanks for the mail. I was surprised to receive only one response for
it. Is it because it is an oft repeated question? Or such a thing cannot
be implemented? Someone on chat said he had heard "virtual machines"
can do these things. What are these? Is this related to DNS or apache?

I need some thing more to go on to find an effective solution, more of a
business solution than a normal home solution.

Please do tell if anyone has more info on this.

> There are several solutions with a HEARTBEAT message in clusters ... search
> for that on google ...

Thanks, I will.

> I personally do it at home with a linux box firewall which just sends out
> multicasts ( heartbeat ) and if the 1st doesn't reply I change my iptables
> configuration.

I want it to do on a larger scale.

Thanks a lot for the time and bye.

With regards,