httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com>
Subject [users@httpd] child pid notices - take 2
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:40:03 GMT
Hi;

I received no suggestions the first time, so perhaps a simplified
request will generate response...

While poring over my error logs I come across multiple bunchings of the
following message:

[Thu Jan  2 22:26:21 2003] [notice] child pid 6743 exit signal User defined signal 2 (17)
[Thu Jan  2 22:26:21 2003] [notice] child pid 6742 exit signal User defined signal 2 (17)
[Thu Jan  2 22:26:21 2003] [notice] child pid 6741 exit signal User defined signal 2 (17)

All told for the month of January I have over 6000 of these notices (the
server got ~2.5 million HTTP requests during the same period), all
identical except for the PID number.  I am running Apache 1.3.26 on
HP-UX 10.20.

I understand that this is a notice generated internally by Apache.

My question is, should I expect this notice in my error log, or is this
indicative of 'poorly behaving' CGI scripts, and if it's the latter,
what can I suggest to the CGI owner to eliminate them?  Or is it
something else entirely?

Thanks for any suggestions,

hugh

--
 Hugh Williams			"And the time will come when you'll see
 hugh_williams@agilent.com  	 We're all very small

----- End of forwarded message from Hugh Williams -----