httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jurgen <apa...@squarehosting.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] suEXEC and /etc/passwd
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:40:28 GMT
Hi,

the user name is basically an alias for a UID. At some point the username will be mapped from
user name to UID and the information for the mapping is in /etc/passwd. That mean as long
as you specify a user name you will have to have it in the system, else there is no way for
the OS to randomly make up a UID.
So I guess what you really want is to specify a UID in the configuration instead of a user
name.

Jurgen