httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William Turrell" <wturr...@clara.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Referring pages using apache + cgi scripts
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:03:32 GMT

> The may indeed have accessed the first page, but are you sure that they
> came to the second page by clicking a link in the first? If the simply
> typed the URL of the second page into the address bar then the request
> will have no "Referer" header (indeed, it MUST NOT, according to the
> RFC).

Yes, aware of and have checked that.

> >Any reason why this information wouldn't be being passed on? The people
> >we've asked seem to have modern browsers (IE 5 or 6) and
> >operating systems
> >(WinNT etc.), and I assumed that referral information was
> >mandatory anyway.
>
> It is not mandatory as far as RFC 2068 (HTTP/1.1) is concerned. In fact,
> the RFC advises that the client application (i.e. the browser) allows
> the user to disable sending of the Referer header for reason of
> confidentiality. Perhaps those few users have done this (BTW, does it
> NEVER work for a few users or does it sometimes work for everyone?).

Ok - looks like I will have to try something else then (yes, its the same
specific users every time, but they all seem to have modern browsers on
which it would be tricky to begin to figure out how to do this for most
people, e.g. IE, or maybe some firewall they are connected via is doing
it..)

Thanks for your help.

William