httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Newbie .htaccess
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:22:30 GMT
John:

> I am ONLY interested in the delivered output on a webpage
> not when talking locally to the server

Owen was using ls as an example of standard uses of directory indexes.
Changing mod_autoindex would not effect how you deal with the file system
other than the output of the directory index in Apache.

> I trust the same thing applies?

Yep.

> We want the description from the HTML to be displayed not the
> filenames

If you want to have a directory listing with the titles (in the <title>
tags) of the HTML pages, you'll definitely want to look into some sort of
scripting language.  Doing this in Perl would not be too much trouble.  I'd
think PHP would be easy too, but I have little to no experience there.

If the admin of the server you're using doesn't allow you to run Perl/CGI or
PHP, you can send him to some of the numerous howtos on the net.  Setting
this stuff up is not very difficult, and you can do it in such a way to make
it secure for him.

 ~ Robert