httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alex Moon <a.m...@mdx.ac.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache port 80 non root user
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:26:46 GMT
Hope someone can help.  I have inherited the following problem.
I have to run apache under linux as a user for historical reasons
beyond my control and it cannot easily be moved until atleast
August.  I do have root access to the server but this instance of the
apache has to run as without root privileges.  Can anyone suggest
a work around (or an avenue that i can explore) that would allow me
to use port 80 and 443 on the non privilged version of apache.

I had thought i'd run another copy of apache as root user with a
redirect but then the users would simpy be directed to the
alternative port number and a significant number of users are
restricted to just port 443 and 80 by their network firewalls so i
need the non root user apache to be able to actually comunicate
on port 80.

Out of interest any ideas on what the reasoning could have been
behind installing it as non root user?
Thanks
Alex

Technical Manager