httpd-users mailing list archives

From Anthony Abby <anthonya...@aplusdata.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Problem with Virtual Hosts
Date Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:28:54 GMT
I'm having problems getting a name-based virtual host to work
correctly.  I'm running Apache 1.3.x on Mandrake Linux 9, so my main web
root is located at /var/www/html/, but my virtual host is located at
/var/www/vhosts/comicsnsuch/

My virtual host config (located at /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/Vhosts.conf
looks like this:

<VirtualHost >
  ServerName www.comicsnsuch.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/comicsnsuch/
  ServerAlias comicsnsuch.com *.comicsnsuch.com
</VirtualHost>

But the documentation says it should say <VirtualHost *>.  The first
problem is that if I add the '*' there, then apachectl restart, I can
not browse either website hosted on my server.  I get a Forbidden, You
don't have permission to access / on this server error.  If I remove the
'*' I can browse both sites, but that leads to my second problem.

Right now I have both sites as mirrors of one another, but that's only
because I'm in the process of moving the content of my first site, to
the virtual host.  In a couple more weeks I intend to put up entirely
different content on the original site.  Right now though, irregardless
of which domain you type in, you are served the content from
/var/www/html/.

Anyone have any pointers?  Thanks!