httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@x-mail.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 06:44:58 GMT
Quoting "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>:

> >Anaru Hartley said:
> >> IIS Sucks. Period. Linux/Unix Sucks too...
*nix only sucks if m$ is what you consider to be a real os  ( be it dos or winders )

> >> I'm running Apache purely on DOS, and its fine - most stable thing on
> >> earth, its just annoying that Apache does not come with some kind of a
> >> FTP Client. Cheers.
>
> It does.  mod_proxy_ftp.
>
> :-)
>
> You did say "FTP Client".  mod_proxy_ftp is an ftp client to service ftp
> requests through http proxy.
>
> But I suppose you meant FTP server, and as we all like bashing MS...
> they try to roll so many features into a single 'product' that nobody
> understands all of the pieces running under the hood (not the developers
> themselves, and certainly not your average programmer/consumer.)
>
> That's actually one of Apache's best points, and makes a great motto...
> 'It's just the web server, stupid.'  (Not insulting you --- that's as in
> the
> quote "It's the economy, stupid.")

why on earth would I want an ftp client with the webserver? I can see ftp server with
the web server, and I have proftp, anonftp, wuftp as supported options with linux, and
they all work out of the box.
( something like half a dozen ftp clients, but the app used to ftp files up to the
remote server isn't really a subject for the server list.

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls, Live Chat, X-Mail Messenger,
Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure, Calendar, Bookmarks,
Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, POP3, Ad Free