httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Embedded Apache
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:39:50 GMT
>>* Configure Apache with a scripting language (PHP, Perl etc.)
>Out-of-the-box apache handles Perl CGIs. mod_php is easy to add,
>although not quite stable yet on Apache 2. mod_perl (allows perl
>handlers) is easy to add but writing handlers is not trivial.

I would think that in an embeded situation that you would not want CGI.
You'd want something that loads into apache's space and doesn't require
anything else to be loaded each time a page is requested.

Actually, now that I think of it, what kind of embeded system are we talking
about?  I'd hope it is something that can handle forking (apache) or
threading (apache 2) well, or apache is going to be a bad idea.

>* Minimize disk usage: 5-6Mb.
>Config and binary are much less than this. Watch for log files - these
>can grow rapidly but tools exist to rotate them.

Modify apache to not generate log files.  This thing is going to be
embedded, you don't need them.  If space is a real premium, also hard-code
the conf files so you don't need the loading code or the file stored in mem.

>I would appreciate an opinion on this approach. Any suggestions on how
>to proceed are welcomed.

Kinda need more info on what hardware you are using.  If you're trying to
run this in a 6mhz, 2mb ROM system, apache is a bad idea.  You seem to be
alluding to a more powerful system though :)

-Jacob