httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gerald Shifrin <gerald.shif...@wcom.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:38:21 GMT
I thought I'd try again with this problem -- It's been a couple of weeks and
I still have no idea about the cause.

I'm seeing these in the apache error log about once or twice a minute. This
is in my development environment where there are only a couple of users
active at any time.

We're running Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.11 OpenSSL/0.9.6g.

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:22:20 -0700
To: users@httpd.apache.org
From: Gerald Shifrin <gerald.shifrin@wcom.com>
Subject: RE: Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Joshua Slive wrote:

>I do believe that the FAQ directly addresses the (non-)problem. If I
>remember correctly, future Apache versions are going to downgrade this
>message so you won't even see it at the default LogLevel.  It really is
>harmless, as long as it is a small proportion of your requests.

Thanks, but I beg to differ -- the log message is NOT the same as the one
described in the FAQ: "invalid argument" vs. "could not set socket option",
and it is happening frequently, more than one occurrence per minute, and I
know it's not related to client disconnects since it's happening on my test
machine where there are just a one or two users.

I found one reference that appeared to say that "TCP_NODELAY" is a valid
argument:

	Apache for Unix uses the setsockopt() option TCP_NODELAY. Apache for MPE
does not...
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mpeix.html

I guess the real question is what triggers that exact message -- could it be
something in one of my config files or is possibly related to some other
component like Tomcat or OpenSSL?

Thanks.

------------------------------

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Gerald Shifrin wrote:
> Thanks, but I beg to differ -- the log message is NOT the same as the one
> described in the FAQ: "invalid argument" vs. "could not set socket
option",

Be a little flexible here.  These are errors passed through from the OS,
so they can differ slightly from one OS to another.

> and it is happening frequently, more than one occurrence per minute, and I
> know it's not related to client disconnects since it's happening on my
test
> machine where there are just a one or two users.

If you have these errors occuring when there are no client requests, then
indeed the problem is different.  You didn't mention that part before.

Joshua.