httpd-users mailing list archives

From "George Hademenos" <hademe...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] please help me kill apache..
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:50:34 GMT
i am going to repeat this one last time....software engineers or not....a
make file is basically a batched instruction set to the compiler...it is not
necessary.
ms code is in fact derived from berkeley...you are right on that
account..you can find your answers there as well.

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Valpak" <gvalpak@yahoo.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>; <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] please help me kill apache..

> At 07:27 AM 2/13/2003 -0600, George Hademenos wrote:
> >if you know anything at all about compilers you know that you don't have
> >have make files....you can compile and link manually when you have to.
>
> If you know anything about working on or managing teams of software
engineers that have turned out 28 MB of source code, then you know there is
more than just raw source code involved in build the target(s). Take a peek
at the apache code, for instance (Just to try to keep this remotely on topic
:)

> How did headquarters come to release NT4.0 code to you, particularly
without imposing onerous licensing and confidentiality agreements? I am
aware that MS has licensed software source, probably of that vintage to
companies (such as Mainsoft IIRC) who were porting certain aspects of it to
unix systems. But that is not software that was "released" in any sense of
the imagination, and even if that is what you have, it is certainly still
subject to its licensing terms and keeping it on  your 12 dollar pc is
probably not sufficient.

> Is this the source of your source?
>
> It also may very well be that the source code for the resolver is based on
FreeBSD-licensed stuff, as would be allowed under that license. I may
vaguely recall having read that conjecture at one time. But why would MS
have made the results public?

> Anyway, this is way off topic, and I am amused enough that I better go
back to bed before it is time to wake up...