httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Muralidhar" <muralid...@in-biz.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 06:06:09 GMT
Hi!!

I hope the following entry could solve your problem.

Enter the following in your Apache httpd.conf  file

<Directory "/var/www/strudel/">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
 Allow from all
</Directory>

Regards,
Muralidhar.N

----- Original Message -----
From: "Astrid Hendra" <Astrid@sigel.co.nz>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 7:08 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working

> Hi there,
>
> I have the same problem as Jason.  I've followed the information provided
in the Apache Httpd Documentation and also had some assistance from people
on two irc channels and they ended up referring me to this email list.
> This is my VHost entry.  I've added the .htaccess into the httpd.conf as a
directory.

> <Directory /var/www/strudel>
>  AuthName "Strudel Access"
>  AuthType Basic
>  AuthUserFile /var/www/strudel/.htpasswd
>  AllowOverride All
>  Require User strudel
> </Directory>
>
> <VirtualHost 210.54.31.225:80>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/strudel
> ServerName www.strudelsoftware.com
> ErrorLog /var/log/apache/strudel-error.log
> CustomLog /var/log/apache/strudel-access.log common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I've set up the .htpasswd file permissions to the Apache Documentation.
> The .htpasswd file has been put into the document root to rule out the
possibility that the apache user can't get to the directory it was formerly
in.
> When authentication is #'ed out in the httpd.conf I can access the website
fine so the apache user can acces the directory structure.

> My error.log shows this when I try to enter in a login/password.
>
> [Wed Feb 26 14:23:04 2003] [error] user strudel not found:
/wedding/friends/
> [Wed Feb 26 14:23:06 2003] [error] user strudel not found:
/wedding/friends/

> My access.log shows this at the same time.
>
> 10.20.1.13 - strudel [26/Feb/2003:14:23:04 +1300] "GET /wedding/friends/
HTTP/1.1" 401 489
> 10.20.1.13 - strudel [26/Feb/2003:14:23:06 +1300] "GET /wedding/friends/
HTTP/1.1" 401 489

> The apache server reports this as being it's "vital information":
Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6g PHP/4.2.3
configured

> I've spent several days trying to get this work and doing research with no
joy at all and I would love some assistance :)
> If I can offer anymore information to help solve the problem, please let
me know.

> Thank you very much,
>
> Astrid Hendra.

---