httpd-users mailing list archives

From "George Hademenos" <hademe...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] virtual hosting
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:52:11 GMT
why can't you just add A records for each name/virtual ip

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Valpak" <gvalpak@yahoo.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>; <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] virtual hosting

> At 01:27 PM 2/13/2003 -0600, George Hademenos wrote:
> >yes george but it centers on virtual hosts not virtual domains.
>
> A virtual host as configured in apache refers to a DNS resolvable name,
and the IP  that the name resolves to must be one that the server is
listening on. this is the important part, because at the end of the day, all
domain names/hosts/su domain names are under the root domain called ".". You
can have a server that has any mixture of virtual hosts located anywhere in
the domain tree, as long as the name resolves to an IP address your machine
will answer on.

> Given the earlier discussion, I really recommend you find somebody
physically to show you how to set up the DNS properly. that is trickier than
setting up the apache part usually. But if both arts aren't right, you won't
be able to host the way you want to.