httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Alex \"Sniper\" Togstad" <sni...@3dretreat.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Upload Site Simultaneously??
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 08:26:49 GMT
WOA, what a reply Boyle! Thank you so much! I shall look into what
you've said!

Jeff, thank you also! I will have to read up on doing a crono, but I'm
sure I'll be able to handle it!

Once again, thank you to both of you!!

---
Alex Togstad
Web Developer
alextogstad@3dretreat.com

*Custom built low-to-high end servers. Ask me for a free quote!

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 12:13 AM
To: Apache list
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Upload Site Simultaneously??

I understand you a bit better... You have three machines, A, B and C.
All are webservers. You want to copy a file (or files) from A and B to
C, thus making the data available on C. Correct?

If so, let's think about it for a minute; HTTP is a client-pull
technology, i.e. the client requests the data and the server serves it.
The simplest way then would be to have C run a client process which GETs
the data from A and B. You could then trigger the process with cron.

You could write the client yourself in Perl or C or Java (you need to
open a socket, write the GET request and read the output stream). Or you
could install a command-line utility like wget (www.wget.org) and just
say "wget http://server-A/file-to-get".

If you absolutely MUST push the data from A and B to C, then you could
use the file upload facility of CGI.pm. In this case, you write a CGI
program on machine-C which expects a POST request containing a CGI
parameter of type "file" and name "upload". If you reference the
parameter as a scalar, you get the name of the file and if you reference
it as a filehandle you get the data. Check the CGI.pm docs at CPAN for
details.

Machines A and B then become the clients and make POST requests to C -
again you need to write a script to do this.

So it's not entirely trivial...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>It's not for me, it's for a friend.

PS You know what they say; "A friend in need, is a pest".