httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gareth Kirwan" <g...@thermeoneurope.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Children don't die properly
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:17:11 GMT
Boyle,
	Thanks for the advice.

	I'm getting something interesting in `ps faxww` that I don't
normally see.
	My LogHandler is run seven times, and then another seven - the first
set are then marked as defunct.

	ie:
	In normal multi-server mode it'd look like this:

/etc/httpd/bin/httpd
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
 \_ /etc/httpd/bin/httpd ( x children )

However when I run it single server I get:

\_ httpd -X
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ [LogRotate.pl <defunct>]
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl
    \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/httpd/Thermeon/LogRotate.pl

	I'm not too sure why it would do this.
	I can paste the relevant httpd.conf lines and LogRotate.pl if
necessary.

	I can't get single server mode with a system strace to show what
you/I want because it takes half a day of running before killing the server
causes the error messages.

	Any ideas ?

	Gareth