httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Klama" <nosed...@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] ftp
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:43:25 GMT
Mike (the other one)
It is the latter that I am referring to.  Both I and my clients know how
to FTP and what I need to be sure of is that when clients log in they go
directly to their home directory and when they upload their files as
part of their web pages they are put into their home directory

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike [mailto:mike.lists@levrah.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 7:03 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] ftp

Michael.

Just to confirm things abit.

Are you needing actual FTP help?

Or do you (and/or your clients) know how to FTP, but what you need help
with is making sure when the client logs into the box, that they are
"put
into" their home directory - so that whatever they FTP is put into the
home
directory?

If the former, it would necessitate an FTP related discussion group /
mailing list.

If the latter, it would belong here. And, if it is the latter, please
send
a reply on-list to confirm this.

Also, if it is the latter, I am unfortunately not confident enough to
say,
but I believe it would be necessary to "chroot" the usernames of your
client's login IDs. I believe this involves updating your /etc/passwd
file,
but someone else here who is much more knowledgeable about it than I am
right now could either confirm that or offer additional information.

-mike (a different one) :)

At 06:08 PM 2/4/2003, you wrote:
>Please don't take offence, but Brian is right. This is an
>Apache-mailinglist. Following your logic, users could also post a
>Linux/Windows/FreeBSD question here, since Apache runs on those
platforms.

>But again, don't take it so hard, we are all nice people here!
>
>Kind Regards,
>Sander Holthaus

Thank
> > you in advance.