httpd-users mailing list archives

From "benjammin" <d-...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] McAfee VS Pro and apache 2.x
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 23:27:12 GMT
Well since i only run it on here to learn, I don't think losing that 1/3 cpu
time is gonna kick my ass too hard... hehe. Anyways thanks for the tips
though!

_benjammin
----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Greenlees" <jaqui@shaw.ca>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] McAfee VS Pro and apache 2.x

benjammin wrote:
> Well, I'm sure that it wasn't a Apache problem either, because I did not
> even have a problem when McAfee wasn't installed. Seeing how it did act up
> with it installed. I couldn't find anything from Network Associates
website
> pertaining to the issue, so I made an assumption that someone in the forum
> might know what the problem was.
>
> The exclusion thing DID NOT work and neither did shutting off automatic
> scanning. Well actually turning off automatic scanning worked until it had
> automatically updated itself for the first time. I checked to see if it
had
> maybe defaulted back to automatic scanning, but it hadn't. So now I'm at a
> loss... anyone have a suggestion for a good Windows based Virii Scanner
that
> won't give me this kinds of ridiculous(sp?) problems?
>
> Again thanks for all the help.
>
> _benjammin

well never had any issues with nortons and apache on my wife's xp box.
personally I run apache on linux, much easier to avoid virus problems.
and there is more system resources available, like the 13 to 18 % of cpu
time eaten up by windows gui.
add 5 to 10 % for antivirus / firewall and you are losing close to 1/3
of cpu time.

a friend that teaches networking was running a hosting farm as part of
his course and using the traffic to compile data about data transfer
used by 3d graphics community....seems he had max of 5% of cpu in use at
any time, and was averaging 26 gigabytes of data transfer a day. ( linux
based servers )