httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Bert" <soile...@sgwebspace.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Upload Site Simultaneously??
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 08:24:15 GMT
As I stated before, use ftp and cron.  It's very simple.

I used it to push info created by one computer to my webserver at even
intervals.

jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 12:13 AM
To: Apache list
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Upload Site Simultaneously??

I understand you a bit better... You have three machines, A, B and C. All
are webservers. You want to copy a file (or files) from A and B to C, thus
making the data available on C. Correct?

If so, let's think about it for a minute; HTTP is a client-pull technology,
i.e. the client requests the data and the server serves it. The simplest way
then would be to have C run a client process which GETs the data from A and
B. You could then trigger the process with cron.

You could write the client yourself in Perl or C or Java (you need to open a
socket, write the GET request and read the output stream). Or you could
install a command-line utility like wget (www.wget.org) and just say "wget
http://server-A/file-to-get".

If you absolutely MUST push the data from A and B to C, then you could use
the file upload facility of CGI.pm. In this case, you write a CGI program on
machine-C which expects a POST request containing a CGI parameter of type
"file" and name "upload". If you reference the parameter as a scalar, you
get the name of the file and if you reference it as a filehandle you get the
data. Check the CGI.pm docs at CPAN for details.

Machines A and B then become the clients and make POST requests to C - again
you need to write a script to do this.

So it's not entirely trivial...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>It's not for me, it's for a friend.

PS You know what they say; "A friend in need, is a pest".