httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Web access in the hosting computer
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 06:10:52 GMT
Arun kumar R wrote:

>I tried all the options, it's not working within my
>network. Do i need to setup a DNS info to get it work.

>--- Jeff Cohen <apache@gej-it.com> wrote:
>> Try with one of the following:
>> http://192.168.0.10
>> http://localhost
>> http://computername

You don't say whether you're using a modern OS, or Windows.  If you use
a modern OS, like Linux, you need to be sure the loopback address is
associated with your machine name.  In /etc/hosts, you should have the
line "127.0.0.1	<hostname>	localhost"  That way, it knows to use the
loopback address when self-addressed by hostname or "localhost".  Also,
from root, do "ifconfig" to confirm that loopback is up and running.  If
you have a legacy OS, I got nothing.

In any case, I haven't seen it suggested to use http://127.0.0.1/  Note
the final /.  It is sometimes needed and always OK.
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---