httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HTTP ports
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2003 05:24:09 GMT
Aman Raheja wrote:

>I have more of a HTTP question that apache.
>When a user accesses a web-site, the browser picks up available port.
>For the next page requested another port is used and so on (http being a
>stateless protocol)
>Are the ports selected always incremental. I mean 1034, 1038,
>1041,1047... and so on.
>Thanks

I just played with this for a while.  It appears that the port number is
incremented, but not necessarily by the same value.  Obviously, other
apps than the browser(s) may be running, and picking up ports for their
own use.  Is there a use for this that you're contemplating?
--
gt                                           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
"Well, you order it from the 'Society of Hardware and Information