httpd-users mailing list archives

From Faheem Mitha <fah...@email.unc.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] using apache only as a local server
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:57:00 GMT
Dear People,

I just installed apache version 1.3.27 on Debian GNU/Linux. My machine
is a dialup and I just want to use apache as a local server, for local
document searches and so on. So I don't want anyone accessing it from
outside.

My question is, what is the cleanest way to disable apache from having
any kind of contact with the outside? For example, would it be best to
stop it listening on any ports, or is there a better way? If stopping
it listening is the best approach, how should I accomplish this?

I've spent some time looking over the documentation. While there
appear to be several things I could try to accomplish this goal, it is
not clear to me which would be the best.

Thanks in advance.
                                                     Faheem.