httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Linn Kubler" <LKub...@ecw.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess setup?
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:48:17 GMT
Oops, that is a typo in the email, it's spelled correctly in the
.htaccess file.  Oh, do you also mean changing it from "user linn" to
"valid-user"?

Thanks,
Linn

>>> soilentg@sgwebspace.com 01/29/03 12:32PM >>>
Change

Requre user linn

Require valid-user

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Linn Kubler [mailto:LKubler@ecw.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 10:28 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] .htaccess setup?

Hi,

I'm running Apache 1.3.20-16 on a RedHat 7.2 server.  Trying to
restrict
access to a specific web directory but not having any luck and I'm
hoping
someone here can tell me where I've gone astray.

In the httpd.conf file I added a section:
<Directory "/var/www/html/bod">
  AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

In the bod directory I created a file called .htaccess containing:
AuthType
Basic AuthName "ECW Restricted Area" AuthUserFile /var/www/passwords
Requre
user linn

Then I created the passwords file mentioned above and added my user
name and
password.  I then restarted the webserver but it doesn't work.
When I type in the url I get the index page when I think I should be
getting
a login dialog box.

Can anyone shed some more light on this subject, tell where I've gone
wrong
or what I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,