httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache server 2.0.43
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:53:48 GMT
David Jones wrote:

>my isp say they are filtering port 80 and i have 3 computers 2 of them are
>on a router
>and the other one  on a diffrent connection but all on the same ISP
>2 cable modems
>one for the 2 cpu's on the router
>and one by its self
>i can go to my other computer on the other side of the room and pull it up
>by typing this
>and only this ---->  http://66.169.74.233
>but not able to with this---> http://jonespc.no-ip.biz
>can someone help here
>could it be that all 3 computers are networked together via broadband cable
>line within my house

internet-->ISP firewall-|->ISP LAN-->you

you-->ext DNS(internet)-->ISP firewall-|->ISP LAN-->you

Request from outside is blocked.

you-->ISP LAN-->another you

Nothing is blocked within the LAN.

This is just a guess.  Just as you can address any machine on your LAN
without going through your own firewall/router, the same thing is true
of on the larger LAN run by the ISP.

On the other hand, no-ip.biz is dynamic DNS service, right?  The request
must exit the ISPs LAN, go through the internet DNS process and re-enter
through the ISPs firewall, where port 80 addresses are blocked (or maybe
any address from within the LAN).

Consider this to be a very non-technical analogy.  It also does not
consider your own firewall rules.
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---