httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] useradd
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:49:53 GMT
M A wrote:

>i already did add */sbin to my PATH..why is it bad karma?

The concepts of ownership and permissions are key elements in *nix
systems.  Look at Apache, the config file concerns itself heavily with
who can do what, and where.  It is generally considered good practice to
keep administrative/root stuff separate from user functions.

Since there is *no* reason to have the path to sbin in user land (after
all, user can't {shouldn't} run anything there), it only promotes bad
habits.  Consider that you don't want just anyone to have access to your
cgi directories or httpd.conf, since there is the possibility of system
damage---even more so with the OS.  You don't want users to have any
access to system commands and files.

>and thanks for Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition its really great book

You're welcome.

--
gt           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
The advice is free, and worth every cent.