httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] CGI problem with mod_userdir
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:40:24 GMT

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Shawn Wilson wrote:

> THANK YOU!!!
>
> I can't believe it was something so incredibly simple (I knew it had to
> be something stupid). So, if you don't mind my asking, what is the
> purpose of suexec if Apache doesn't need it? I'm guessing it must have
> some good use and perhaps I just don't have it configured properly.

It makes cgi script run under a different userid than the main apache
binary.  It is useful for isolating cgi scripts from the server and from
each other.  It is especially useful on systems where multiple (perhaps
less-than trusted) users run cgi scripts, but it can also enhance security
on one-user systems by making sure that cgi scripts can't do things under
the webserver userid.

More info at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/suexec.html

Joshua.