httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] File .htaccess and <limit> argument
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:50:56 GMT

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 mendez@lug.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In a .htaccess file, the <Limit> method accepts parameters among :
> GET ,POST ,PUT ,DELETE ,CONNECT ,OPTIONS ,PATCH ,PROPFIND ,PROPPATCH ,MKCOL ,COPY ,MOVE
,LOCK ,UNLOCK

> but I did not find any info about most of them. So I wonder which one must be added to
be the more efficient.
> On the net, I found sometimes GET and POST, sometimes HEAD (which is not in the list
BTW).

> In the previous version of Apache I used, I had no <Limit> method and it worked
! But now, no more !

> Is there a way to set a default configuration for the <Limit> method, so I needn't
to add them to each .htaccess file ?

Did you read all the docs on <Limit>?  It says that using <Limit> is
almost always unnecessary; and it is true!  Don't use <Limit> unless you
have a specific need to limit access to some methods while allowing access
to other methods.  And in general, even this should be done with
<LimitExcept> instead.

Joshua.