httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Deny HEAD Request
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:08:14 GMT

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Sander Holthaus - Orange XL wrote:

> As fas as I know, you cannot do this, since Apache considers HEAD and GET as
> the same. (eg. enableing GET will also enable HEAD), but I'm not quite sure.

That's right, you can't do this with <Limit> because the HTTP spec says
that HEAD must get you exactly the same thing as GET, except without the
body.  Treating GET and HEAD differently would violate that.

You can probably do it with mod_rewrite or mod_setenvif, but that is left
as an exercise for the reader (check the archives on how to limit TRACE).

Joshua.