httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] q: last-modified http header
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:07:59 GMT

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Harald Falkenberg wrote:
> several question concerning http header last-modified.
>
> I'm using apache 1.3.27 on Solaris 7.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Sometimes I see in the HEAD information a last-modification info and
> sometimes not. What are dependencies?

Apache sends last-modified info when it can determine it.  In general,
that is only for content that comes from disk and is not processed by any
dynamic handlers like mod_include, mod_cgi, etc.  Other modules or CGIs
can also set the last-modified header if they can figure out the correct
date.

> 2. Search engines as well as caches look for last-modification date in the
> w3c format "yyyy-mm-dd...". The standard apache configuration uses a
> different last-modification date format in the http header.

I can't figure out what you are talking about here.  Apache uses HTTP
standard date formats.  If your search engine can't understand it, it is
probably broken.

Joshua.