httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess help
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:05:22 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, DUFFER wrote:
> I went throught the httpd.conf file and changed AllowOverride None to
> AllowOverride AuthConfig.
> Restarted apache and still no go.
> I can freely open the pages in that directory.  I even put jiberish in the
> first line of the .htaccess file which should return an error if the
> .htaccess file is being used.  So it is not even looking for it.
>
> I guess I need to wipe the harddrive and start over.  Its screwed up
> somewhere, but none of the changes I make seems to make any difference.
> Well this is a learning experience anyway.

No, you don't need to wipe out the harddrive.  If the .htaccess file is
not being read, the problem is 99.999% AllowOverride.  Take another look
through your config.  Put it a specific directory section
<Directory /full/path/to/directory>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

Alternatively, forget the .htaccess file and just put the auth directives
directly in the directory section in httpd.conf.

Joshua.