httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess help
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:02:23 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Tom wrote:

> I think I have read every guide on the net about .htaccess (well maybe
> not all but quite a few), but I cannot locate an answer to my problem.

Well, you haven't been reading very good tutorials.

> I created a .htaccess file in the /var/www/html/bd/  directory of a
> Redhat 7.2 system.   Containing:
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/bd/.htpasswd
> AuthName Members
> AuthType Basic
> <Limit GET>
> require vailid-user
> </Limit>

Why the <Limit GET> and </Limit>?  Those are NOT needed, and are a
possible security risk.  Who told you to use those?

> The index.html file loads with out asking for a User/Password.

Check the setting of AllowOverride in httpd.conf.  It must include at
least AuthConfig to get it to read the .htaccess file.

Joshua.