httpd-users mailing list archives

From Doru-Catalin Togea <doru-...@ifi.uio.no>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Aliases for non-CGI references
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:13:23 GMT
On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Jeff Cohen wrote:

> I don't think I got your point.
> From what I understood, I guess you have an HTML issue here rather then
> Apache.

Indeed it is a HTML issue, but my question was whether I could use a
webserver to solve it. Besides what you write further down, I had already
mentioned a solution to the issue, myself.

Since I am learning about web-publishing it seemed to me to be a smart
question to ask whether Apache can read html files and replace some
base-address of the URLs encountered in the files with something else on
the fly, before giving the files to my browser. I know a little about
Apache, enough to call CGI scripts by means of aliased URLs, so I though
who know what else Apache can do.

Maybe I misunderstand something here. Maybe not all html traffic goes
through Apache, even though it is running in the background. Is it so that
Apache only intervenes when there is some CGI involved when a browser
requests a file?

> When you add links to your pages, add them as /somedirectory/pic.jpg and not
> the whole link, not as e:/somedirectory/pic.jpg and not as
> www.domain1.com/somedirectory/pic.jpg
>
> Just use the route that will be compatible with any base stracture.

Well, I dont't know if it is best to include complete URLs in my HTML
referances or not, but it is indeed off topic for this group.

Thanks
Catalin
--

	<<     We are what we repeatedly do.      >>