httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Roberts <tob...@securityhole.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache processes not dying?
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:29:19 GMT
Hi all,

I am hoping someone on here might have a suggestion for a problem that I
am looking into.  We have several apache servers all with the same
hardware and software configuration behind a load balancing switch (least
connections).  I will post more specific compile time options for apache
below (apache 1.3.27 and php 4.2.3).  When I start my servers everything
is great, however over time I am seeing more and more apache children
created up until the point where apache not longer accepts requests and we
go down.  This is not a particularly high traffic time for us, so I am
somewhat stumped.  Is there something in our config file that might cause
this?  Just a side note... I am seeing quite a few apache processes that
are in a "D" state if I do a "ps -aux."

Here are some specifics:

bash-2.05a# /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -V
Server version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)
Server compiled with....
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D HAVE_SHMGET
 -D USE_SHMGET_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D HAVE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HAVE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HARD_SERVER_LIMIT=256
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/apache/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"A

bash-2.05a# /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_usertrack.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_php4.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/apache/bin/suexecA

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware