httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache v1.3.27 error - httpd dead but pid file exists
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:15:27 GMT

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, steveG wrote:

> Hi..
>
> I have a strange problem that just seemed to happen out of nowhere.. I have attempted
to delete the *.pid file and also deleted the
> httpd from the subsys and then tried to restart apache.  Nothing seems to help.  Below
is what the status sais and also what the
> error log from apache sais..  Does anyone have any further suggestions/thoughts.

I did not see any response to your query, so I thought I'd give a couple
suggestions.

> RedHat v7.3
> Apache version 1.3.27
> mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.54
> php 4.1.2
>

> [root@localhost /]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
> Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> [root@localhost /]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd status
> httpd dead but pid file exists

Try removing the pid file before you restart. When the pid file exists,
Apache can think that it is already running. However, given the error
messaegs below, sounds like something else is wrong.

> [Mon Jan 20 00:02:06 2003] [error] Cannot remove module mod_ssl.c: not found in module
list
< And more lines like that >

You have a ClearModuleList directive, apparently, but it is getting
confused. Perhaps the error lies in this next line ...

> [Mon Jan 20 00:02:06 2003] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: getpwuid: couldn't determine
user name from uid 4294967295, you
> probably need to modify the User directive

In your configuration file, you will find a directive "User", which
points to a user account which Apache will run as. This should be set to
some unprivileged user, such as 'nobody', or 'apache', or 'www' (all
popular choices). You appear to have it set to something else, such as
"#-1" for example, which does not correspond to a user account on your
system. Hunt down the User directive in your config file, read the docs
on the User directive, at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#user and set it to something
appropriate.

HTH

- --
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go
 --Pilgrim (Enya - A Day Without Rain)