httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:23:59 GMT
On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, J. Greenlees wrote:

> would not aliasing www.abcd.com to abcd.com allow it to work without the
> dns entry?
> I know it can be aliased, but not sure about the dns.

No, it would not. If the name does not resolve to the IP address, in
DNS, then the browser will never find your server in the first place.
When you type a hostname into your browser, the first thing that it must
do is query DNS to find out where that server lives, by IP Address.
Putting virtual host configurations in Apache does not make that name
resolve to that server. If it did, then surely we could all set up
www.microsoft.com virtual hosts and hijack the real site.

HTTP relies on DNS, and vhosts don't work without DNS entries.

--
And everyone said, "If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve -