httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ------------ ** Basic Auth Encription On WinXP
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:48:27 GMT
On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Mayl Support wrote:

> If I make a user name and password, it looks like this:
>     joeblow:$ddj323342f.....H8di&$o2390ui%#psf9083ioJF
>

> When paypal encrypts it, it looks like this:
>     joeblow:Jf8kjdj92JJfj^%8f

Well, I don't know what paypal has to do with anything, but the
difference between these two is that the first is an MD5 encrypted
string, and the second is crypt. Or at least, so it appears at first
glance.

htpasswd takes an additional argument to let you specify the encryption
type used. On Unix, the default is crypt, and on Windows the default is
MD5

Specifying a -d flag will make it use crypt. Specifying a -m flag will
make it use MD5. Specifying -s will make it use SHA. And -p will make it
store the password plaintext.

For more details, type: htpasswd -h

Or see the htpasswd documentation, at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/programs/htpasswd.html