httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Olds" <MikeO...@themozone.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts ?
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 00:17:39 GMT
> I have been following the list closely for the last few weeks trying to
> become knowledgeable enough to configure an apache 1.3.23 as
> distributed by
> Mandrake as a virtual host.
>
> I want a default site and a name based site so I have the following:
>
> NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.103
>
> <VirtualHost _default_>
> SeverName linuxserver.mydomain.net
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.103>
> ServerName www.domain2.com
> DocumentRoot /usr/www/site.first/htdocs
> </Virtual Host>
>
> 1. As written I get a 403 Forbidden error on both pages.
>
> 2. If I change the 192.168.1.103 in the second virtual host to *, requests
> go to my default for both sites.
>
> 3. Changing the 192.168.1.103 to * in both the NameVirtualHost
> directive and
> the second virtual host, returns a 403 Forbidden error when requesting
> www.domain2.com and the default when requesting anything else at
> 192.168.1.103.
>
> There are DocumentRoot directives outside the VirtualHost sections above.
> Removing them gave me the same results as 3.

I'm just a duffer meself, but on a day like today you might not do any
better.

How are you figuring you have IP# 192.168.1.103?

Try using the IP# in both VH containers (the first is always the default)

My gut feeling tells me you are on a LAN and are using DHCP. Are you just
taking the number the router usually gives you? You need to set up static IP
numbers on the LAN (fiddle with router and Network setups on each computer
or the header information needed to sort out whichiwhicha doesn't get
through.

Best Wishes!
Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org