httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Vilcans" <mar...@jadestone.se>
Subject [users@httpd] -k config/install launching rotatelogs.exe - bug?
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:58:00 GMT
We're experiencing problems with lots of rotatelogs.exe processes being
created on our system. I've searched the archives, but not found anything
about this. It seems to be a bug in Apache.

We have Apache installed as a service under Windows 2000. Normally, it's
configured as a proxy which forwards all requests to a JBoss server, but
during the nights, we reconfigure it to serve static files which say that
the server is down for nightly updates.

To change the server configuration, we reconfigure Apache using the
following command:

apache -k config -f <config-file>

What I have discovered is that every time this command is executed, a
rotatelogs.exe process is created, which apparently runs in the background
and probably expects input from stdin, but doesn't get any since it's not
connected to any console. Since we reconfigure the server at least twice a
day, after a while we have a lot of these processes idling in the system.

The bug appears whenever I run -k install as well. Perhaps it's related to
the parsing of the configuration file, as this is done both on -k install
and -k config.

What's really odd is that only one rotatelogs.exe is created. One would
expect two of them, since we have two pipes to rotatelogs.exe in the
configuration:

ErrorLog "|/apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe logs/error_%Y-%m-%d.log 86400 +60"
.
.
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI "\.(gif|jpg|css|js|swf)$" dontlog
.
.
CustomLog "|/apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe logs/access_%Y-%m-%d.log 86400 +60"
combined env=!dontlog

The rotatelogs.exe that sticks is the one with the access log.

Does anyone recognize this problem? This bug is probably related to a
serious problem we're having, so it would be nice to know if there's a
solution.

Martin Vilcans
Developer, Jadestone Group AB